Monday, October 02, 2006

In the Spirit of Graduate Studies

Let me start the carnival by this inaugural nonsense post.

Me and two of my team-mates were working late on a project recently. After sufficient frustration with compiling a 50 page document, we started talking on how this life sucks (yeah ...the usual stuff). Here is a brief excerpt of the conversation:

G : Man...this PhD was not a good idea. I am killing myself here while most of my undergraduate classmates are settled and talking about secure retirement. I Think at 27 I am getting too old for this research stuff...I should be looking to get married now.

P: Dude, I am 23 and I already feel too old to be studying; feels like I am loosing on a ton of money.....(yeah does sound like an new graduate student)

J: You guys have no idea what "old" is like. I am 40 and I recently started my Phd. And now, both me and my kid, we do our respective homeworks together.

Woah...40 years old !? Amen to the spirit of graduate studies !!!

The astute among us will immediately establish the nationalities of G, P and J from the above conversation :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

G = Indian? The word 'settled' is a dead giveaway

11:15 PM  
Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

I have to chuckle. I'm a 39-year-old single female grad student (second-year Ed.D.). You 20-somethings who are in such a rush for marriage and everything else: slow down. You are where you are, and you should be glad you're figuring out your career now rather than later. There are lost opportunity costs when you enter grad studies later (and for the third time!), that's for sure.

9:07 AM  
Blogger GolbGuru said...

Anon: :)

brunettechicagogal: :)

Well I just have smiles for both the comments..sorry about that.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home